So you have just moved into the Valdosta / Lowndes County Area and you are looking for a great Rental Property to fit your budget? It doesn’t matter if your newly assigned to Moody AFB with your family, or your just moving out of the house, or even deciding to pair up with a few other Valdosta State University Students and want to get out of the dorms. Whatever the reason here are 5 tips to finding a rental in the area.
5. Word of mouth can be powerful – This is the south after all, and people socialize and talk. So In addition to surfing the web for listings, tell friends and family members that you’re looking for a place, too. Sometimes you can get into a great apartment through word of mouth before it hits the market. Whether it’s at work, a party or online through Facebook, tell acquaintances in the area what you’re looking for — they may have a great lead.
4. Consider a Mobile Home – A mobile home now days is not what they used to be, they are so much better, most in South Georgia have central AC and Heat, with spacious rooms, masters bedrooms and more. Bargain hunters may consider renting these properties are often priced lower than other rentals, partly because they may not come with the same level of amenities as a condo (pools, etc) but also because these owners may be more motivated to get their places rented. Also, to be truthful, there’s a lot more opportunity for people to under price their properties because tax rates are lower per year than on Homes, Apartment buildings or Condos.
3. Look beyond the rental listings – Not finding something you’re interested in? Start looking at the for-sale listings. People typically aren’t selling these days unless they have to, so they may be willing to rent it out to you instead.
If a house has been on the market a little too long, you can approach that owner or that Realtor to rent out the unit. That might be a good way to get a good deal.
2. Assess whether rents are fair – After finding a place you’re interested in, search comparable rentals to make sure that the rent price is competitive with the rest of the market. Wellington-Rowell Properties regularly check other rental property agencies in the area to see what prices they have, so we can be competitive in the Valdosta / Lowndes market. We encourage you to do the same.
With printouts of comparisons as proof, you can negotiate with a rental agency for lower rent. That said, if you’re in an area with a lot of competition for rentals, understand that you may not get the price you want.
1. Go ahead and flaunt your good credit – If you have good credit, mention that to the rental agency. Credit makes a big difference because there aren’t too many people who have great credit now days. With so many people dealing with job losses and missing bill payments, those who have good credit really shine. If you’re in the position to present a great credit report, make that known when negotiating on price.
If you have any question about any of our Valdosta Area Rental Properties we offer please feel free to call us at (229) 219-7368 one of our Office Staff will be happy to assist you.